Gambling is legal in various forms in Florida, which includes lottery, land based Indian casinos, commercially operated card venues and bingo, pari-mutuel wagering on horse and dogs (until 2021 and jai-alai. In addition, online gambling is not explicitly prohibited and not regulate. There are, however, offshore sites that accept players from Florida.
What is the Florida Legal Gambling Age?
The legal minimum age for gambling in Florida is:
- 18 for lottery, poker and pari-mutuel betting.
- 21 for gaming machines, casino games and online gambling.
What are the Florida Laws governing Gambling?
There is a wide mixture of gambling that is permitted under State law. These include:
- native American land based casinos. The land based native American casinos are operated by the Seminole Tribe and Miccosukee Tribe;
- casino boats that are allowed to operate if they sail into international waters;
- commercial card rooms;
- pari-mutuel wagering;
- pari-mutuel gaming machines.
It is illegal to operate a lottery or percentage games. The lottery is monopolized by the Florida Lottery.
What are Florida Gambling Tax Laws?
- Casino gambling is taxed at a rate of 35% of gross gaming revenue.
- Card room gaming is taxed at 10% of gross gaming revenue.
- Funds from the Florida Lottery are passed through to the State Education Program.